Friday, July 29, 2005

I Was Searched By A NYC Cop on the Subway

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Ok, so it was bound to happen. I was going to work to Manhattan and I had to transfer to the second subway to continue the trip. I arrived at the Canal Street Station in Manhattan and proceeded to go up the stairs and continue on my way to work by catching the #6 Uptown train. As I proceeded towards the platform, there were 2 cops standing about 30 feet away from the edge of the train platform. One of them came up to me and announced, "Ma'am could you please open your bag. We need to search it." At first, I thought he was kidding. I really wanted to tell him, "You know thisw isn't going to do a damn bit of good. I mean, you can be searching me and the passenger who is walking by smirking might have 15 lbs of C4 strapped to his body and is about to blow us all to smithereens. But that's ok, as long as you searched me!" "What's next? Random body searches?"

I mean, I know the cops are doing what they are told. And believe me, the cops in this city put up with a lot. But I just don't see how this will make anyone feel safer. When your time is up, it's up. Whether it is in a car wreck or natural causes, there is NOTHING you are going to be able to do about it. I mean do I have the problem with cops searching me because it is an inrtrusion of my personal right, damn straight! However, in this day and age (and administration) there is little that can be done. For now. Hopefully, everyone will make up in 3 years and realize this.

Anyway, back to the cops. They were both friendly and courteous. They did not take long and they did not keep me away from my train and make me late for work.

However, I have one suggestion for the NYPD. If you had more cops looking like the below mentioned picture, you might have LOADS of people opening their bags and giving you god knows what. Ok, maybe bad idea. Heck, you might even have would be terrorists realizing the error of their ways. Ok, back to political discussion.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

Subscribe in Rojo
Blogarama - The Blog Directory Blog Flux Directory Web Blog Pinging 
Service Free Google Page Rank Checker blog search directory rem